What Personal Information is Collected?
When you subscribe to emails, sign up to download free content, or enter information on this site, you may be asked for your name, email address, or other details to help you with your experience, such as your IP address and user data (see the Google Analytics section of this policy).
When you use the contact form, your name and email address are collected. They are only used to reply to your message and are not shared.
When visitors leave comments on the site, the data shown in the comments form is collected, as is the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so I can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
Visitor comments may also be checked through an automated spam detection service.
If you have left comments on this site, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data held about you, including any data you have provided to me. You can also request that I erase any personal data held about you. This does not include any data I’m obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
How is Your Information Used?
The information collected from you when you sign up for my emails/downloads, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other site features is used in the following ways:
- To personalize your experience and to allow me to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To improve my website in order to better serve you.
- To send periodic emails regarding your order or other products and services.
How is your information protected?
- I only provide articles and information. I don’t ask for credit card numbers.
- I use regular Malware Scanning.
- Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential.
- All information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
- A variety of security measures are implemented when a user enters, submits, or accesses their information to maintain the safety of your personal information.
You can access and change your personal information at any time by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be notified via email as soon as possible, within 72 hours, should a data breach occur.
On this site, cookies are used to:
- Help me understand your preferences based on previous or current site activity which enables me to provide you with improved services.
- Track affiliate links to see whether the user purchased/signed up for the promoted good/service.
- Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future. I may also use trusted third-party services that track this information on my behalf, such as Google Analytics.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off some or all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. If you turn cookies off, it may affect user experience.
If for some reason, your non-personally identifiable information must be shared with a third party, it will not be done until your express consent is given.
Occasionally, at my discretion, I may include or offer third-party products or services on this website (see the Affiliate Disclosure). These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. I therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, I seek to protect the integrity of my site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Embedded Content from Other Websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
This website uses Google Analytics to track user behaviour in order to better serve readers and improve user experience.
To help with this, Google Analytics collects:
- The time of your visit, the pages you visit, and the length of time spent on these pages
- Your navigation paths (to, from, and around this site)
- The type of web browser being used
- The device you use to visit this site
- Your network location (country) and IP address
- The type of operating system being used
- The links you click on
To opt out, users can use the Google Analytics Opt Out Browser add on.
Email and the CAN-SPAM Act
We collect and process the following information when you subscribe:
- Your email address so I can send information; respond to inquiries, requests, or questions; and market to my mailing list.
- Your first name so I can personalize the emails I send to you.
- When you open emails and whether you click on links inside them so I can measure the success of my campaigns. (Tracking pixels are used to do this).
- The email client you use most often so I can adjust the appearance of my emails according to the most used email clients for better readability.
- An estimated location so I can adjust the content of my emails based on location.
To be in accordance with CAN-SPAM, I agree to the following:
- Not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses.
- If the message is an advertisement, identify it as such in some reasonable way.
- Include the physical address of my business or site headquarters.
- Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
- Honour opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly.
- Allow users to easily unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of the email.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email you receive from me or you can email me at email@example.com and you will be promptly removed from ALL correspondence.
Last edited: May 24, 2018.